Built on the ruins of Tallinn's original, 15th-century Bridgettine convent, this smaller, modern version was opened in 2001.
The first Pirita Convent was consecrated in 1436 when Tallinn was starting to benefit from its privileged position as a transit trade point between East and West. The massive complex was destroyed during the Livonian War a century and a half later.
The architects of the new convent are Ra Luse and Tanel Tuhal. The 2,283-square-metre building is divided into two separate areas - one open to the public and the other closed. The open area is home to a modest guest house, conference rooms and a chapel. The closed area is where the convent's eight nuns currently live their daily lives.