Saint Catherine’s Church, founded in the 13th and 14th centuries, operated as the church of a Dominican monastery for nearly 300 years and was also the largest church in Northern Europe during the Middle Ages. It was likely destroyed in the great fire that took place after the 1531-1532 Reformation, but to date, portals, some walls and an underground burial ground remain of the magnificent church building.
With its wonderful aura and acoustics, Saint Catherine's Church has become a beloved concert, theatre and exhibition venue. In addition, the ruins of the church have been used in very different ways over the years: as a car repair shop, a granary, a warehouse, in the film industry, etc. – all of which required spacious and high rooms.